Hackpads are smart collaborative documents. .

Linyun Fu

932 days ago
Should be a creative commons license version 3
Patrick W A list of what we shouldn't use for a license, like gpl 1 or 2
 
    <dct:creator rdf:resource="&twi;EricRozell"/>
    <dct:contributor rdf:resource="&twi;PatrickWest"/>
    <dct:contributor rdf:resource="&twi;person/MatthewFerritto"/>
    <dct:contributor rdf:resource="&twi;person/NancyHoebelheinrich"/>
    <dct:contributor rdf:resource="&twi;Christopher_Lynnes"/>
    <dct:publisher rdf:resource="&twi;ESIPFederation"/>
 
Linking back to change discussions
Use rdfs:seeAlso to link to page
 
 
  • Discussion
Linyun F Semantic Versioning
Marshall M
  • You cannot use the same uri for an object if its meaning has a major change
Deborah M
  • do we have a list of the licenses we do NOT want and also candidates for good ones?
Stephan Z
  • Use these
  • CCv3
  • MIT?
  • avoid these
Deborah M
  • GPLv2   (adding the sentence of why would be great too - i think you said that all derivative works needed to use the same license)
 
Linyun F Identifier
  • The purpose of an identifier: uniquely identify a thing.
  • Example: the use of DOI and DCO ID -- use URI as suggested dereferenceable identifier.
  • How can the people using the old ontology know to use the new version?
Patrick W
  • Using purl
Linyun F
Stephan Z
  • Does each class and property in the ontology get a handle? (Peter - micro-citation)
Linyun F
  • What if classes and properties used in multiple ontologies change? How the downstream is impacted?
  • If a class changes, do all its subclasses inherit the change made to that class?
zhongh3@rpi.edu
  • ---------> March 30th Meeting a recap
 
876 days ago
  • Next Meeting
 
Attendance
Patrick W Patrick
Linyun F Linyun
Stephan Z Stephan
 
  • Topics of Interests
  • Relevant Papers:
 
  • Agenda
  • Discussion (15-20 min max)
  • Summary (3-5 min max)
 
Action Items from Last Time
 
  • Notes
  • The relationship between verisoning and the rest of the evolution cycle elements
Linyun F
  • Versioning as a way to encode and manage changes (i.e., the rest of the evolution cycle elements/activities)?
  • approaches/languages to quantify/summarize/encode changes
  • GCIS ontology change as a concrete example
 
Action Items
  • Anirudh to jot down ontology changes from GCIS second phase
 
932 days ago
zhongh3@rpi.edu eScience Meeting 20150302.1100 Mon
 
Patrick W
  • General Information
Patrick W
  • Next Meeting
 
zhongh3@rpi.edu Please join my meeting, Mar 2, 2015 at 11:00 AM EST.
 
Dates and Speakers
Date Weekday Time Speaker Topic
Feb 02 Monday 11am ET Linyun Fu Ontology Interest Group
Feb 16 Monday 11am ET Stephan Zednik Vocabulary Services
Mar 02 Monday 11am ET NA Catchups & Discussion
Mar 16 Monday 11am ET Linyun Fu Linked Vocabulary Schema
Mar 30 Monday 11am ET
Apr 13 Monday 11am ET
Apr 27 Monday 11am ET
May 11 Monday 11am ET
Possible Speakers and Topics for the first week:
 
 
Patrick W Call In
 
Attendance
Stephan Z
  • Stephan Zednik (remote)
  • Peter
Patrick W
  • Patrick (remote)
 
 
  • Around the room (5-10 minutes max) 
  • Anything following up from last week (active items)
  •  
  • Talk
  • Discussion (15-20 min max)
  • Summary and What's Next (3-5 min max)
 
Action Items from Last Time
Stephan Z
  • Stephan - find old proposal for update to PML and share with Patrick as example for proposal to update ontology
  • Stephan - write down previous ontology publication practices
Patrick W
  • Patrick - proposal for TW ontology change
  • Patrick - proposal for TW Ontology Best Practices working group
Linyun F
  • Linyun - initiate a mail thread on the [ontology] list on specializing the LDA ontology   (please expand LDA)
  • a mixture of rationale and implementation
 
 
Stephan Z
  • Review previous meeting's action items
Patrick W
  • DOAP (Description of a Project) - Software as a project
 
Action Items
Deborah M
Linyun F
  • Linyun Fu: Prepare a talk about LVA ontology design in two weeks.
  • make sure not to ignore Epimorphics' credit.
Patrick W
  • Use rpi handle system to generate handles for all of our instances
  • Would love to see someone look into purl and give a presentation!
 
 
 
904 days ago
Linyun F Linyun (sick, stay at home) 
Hao Z Hao (rest well Linyun!)
Peter
Patrick
Benno Lee
 
  • Topics of Interests
  • DOAP (Description of a Project) - representing software and software versions
Patrick W
  • Use case 1 - User requests aggregation of 3 datasets to be returned as a netcdf file from OPeNDAP Hyrax (data server)
  • request handled by multiple modules within OPeNDAP Hyrax
  • used in generation of provenance for the request - response object derived from the 3 datasets
  • Use case 2 - On the TW servers we have different versions of different pieces of software installed and we want to keep track of what's installed where
  • PURL (persistent uniform resource locator)
Hao Z
  • find the artical on it
  • are the purls being parsed by a server-side or an actual url?
  • is it content negotiable
  • Examples:
  • Ontology Evolution (Versioning)
Hao Z
  • SYSE
  • -> ontology best practices hackpad
Patrick W
  • Never remove a concept or property
  • If a concept or property is modified then it receives a new URI, it's a new concept/property basically
Hao Z
  • major/minor changes
  • provenance/relationships/hierachials
Linyun F
  • "deprecated" sign
  • vocabulary vesioning: Marshall X Ma  for SKOS, there are "active" and "inactive" annotations to indicate whether elements are part of the current ontology
Hao Z
  • the triangle? anybody can paste a picture?
  • software, database, provenance, schema, ... split tasks
Patrick W
  • Use Cases
  • change the description of a concept
  • add a new concept
  • remove a concept
  • simple typo in a description
Hao Z
  • ontology evolution literature, ISWC, ESWC, ASWC conference proceedings
Patrick W
  • RDA has an interest group related to this
  • Data Management for the lab (Discussion)
  • what is data management? Is it part of data science? What all goes into the management of data? Backups vs. Archives?
  • what is data?
  • dspace vs ckan vs ???
  • Dataset ontologies (dcat. A new one from w3c? Others?)
Marshall M
Patrick W
  • DCAT from w3c
  • VSTO has concepts around datasets
 
Action Items from Last Time
  • Patrick: NOT YET - Use rpi handle system to generate handles for all of our instances
  • Patrick: More of a suggestion - Would love to see someone look into purl and give a presentation!
 
  • Notes
 
918 days ago
Mar 16 Monday 11am ET Linyun Fu Linked Vocabulary API
 
  • Stephan (remote)
Linyun F
  • Linyun
anirudh p
  • Anirudh
Patrick W
  • Patrick
 
Agenda
  • Action Items from Last Time (10-15 minutes max) 
 
  • Linyun Fu: Prepare a talk about LVA ontology design in two weeks.
  • make sure not to ignore Epimorphics' credit.
  • Patrick: NOT YET - Use rpi handle system to generate handles for all of our instances
  • Patrick: More of a suggestion - Would love to see someone look into purl and give a presentation!
 
  •  
 
890 days ago
Peter
Han
Corey
anirudh p anirudh
 
  • Topics of Interests
 
  • vocabulary vesioning: Marshall X Ma  for SKOS, there are "active" and "inactive" annotations to indicate whether elements are part of the current ontology
Stephan Z
  • Stephan: there are?
 
 
Hao Z
  • Ontology versioning
  • versioning in software engineering
Stephan Z
  • Semantic versioning convention (for software)
  • major.minor.patch
  • major changes generally break backwards compatibility and usually involve interface or contract changes
  • minor changes generally add new functionality but do not break backwards compatibility
  • patch changes are generally bug fixes that do not make interface changes (but fix incorrect behavior)
Hao Z
  • difference from software engineering.
  • branching, different urls
  • ==> documentating ontologies
  • ==> an ontology in development for a small exercise?
  • stephan presentation (SKOS; versioning)
  • ==> PROV'O
  • ==> technology issues for the data set
  • versioning meriting from semantic tools, in RDF?
  • how to use provenance to describe versioning
  • other...?
 
 
 
  •  
 
  • Notes
Linyun F
  • Software versioning (major versions, minor versions, bug fixes...) does it work well with RDF versioning? What is missing? 
  • Versioning along with documentation and annotation
  • Difference between software and ontology 
  • Scope: ontology has global scope
  • Polymorphism not allowed in ontology for good reasons
  • NO Encapsulation in ontology (no private elements)
  • Software is defined by interfaces, ontology change is almost always interface change -- reasoning clients will break.
  • Annotating implications of a change to an ontology is hard.
  • How to define minor and major changes for ontologies (since almost every change in an ontology is considered a major (interface) change for software)?
  • Decoupled governance of ontology changes
  • e.g., OBO foundry governance arrangement
  • Use case: VSTO?
  • Benchmark/criteria for ontology evolution governance practices?
  • whether break client tools, how hard it is to fix these breaks, ...
  • Branching in ontology versioning
  • How datasets underpinned by an ontology are influenced if the ontology changes.
 
 
Possible ontologies
  • DCO ontology needs to be reviewed so could have a discussion on versioning
  • Still have not switched to VSTO version 3
  • TW Ontology changing the tw:Concept and incorporating skos:Concept
  • skos, versioning of vocabularies
 
 
946 days ago
Patrick W Meeting Password - grasshopper - oh yeah, I remember now
And why is there one in the first place? i dont know - being removed
 
Attendance
Stephan Z
  • Stephan Zednik (remote)
Deborah M
  • Deborah McGuinness
Patrick W
  • Patrick (remote) - easily amused
 
 
zhongh3@rpi.edu
  • Ontology group following-ups
Linyun F
  • TWC ontology discussion -- Patrick need feedback NOW!
  • Need a proposal for upgrading the TWC ontology first.
  • Having a group of people interested in writing down ontology best practices.
  • A group for ontology best practices inside TWC.
  • content negotiation
  • where to put our ontologies
Linyun F
  • policies, general ones and the ones for specific projects
Stephan Z
Patrick W
  • Each agency has their own terms, own meanings, etc... 
  • Makes mapping difficult
  • And most are not machine readable. Some are on a laptop, in someone's mind, etc... So need to formalize the vocabulary
  • Patrick West Q: SKOS Concept Scheme Mapping - and previous screen - descriptions/definitions?
Linyun F
  • Linyun Fu Q: Encode in an ontology the common patterns found across multiple vocabulary services?
 
Action Items
Stephan Z
  • Stephan - find old proposal for update to PML and share with Patrick as example for proposal to update ontology
  • Stephan - write down previous ontology publication practices
Patrick W
  • Patrick - proposal for TW ontology change
  • Patrick - proposal for TW Ontology Best Practices working group
Linyun F
  • Linyun - initiate a mail thread on the [ontology] list on specializing the LDA ontology
 

Contact Support



Please check out our How-to Guide and FAQ first to see if your question is already answered! :)

If you have a feature request, please add it to this pad. Thanks!


Log in