Hackpads are smart collaborative documents. .

Apurva Kumar Sinha

802 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by Hao Zhong , anirudh prabhu , Apurva Kumar Sinha , Patrick West 802 days ago
Hao Z eScience Meeting 20150511.1100EST Mon
 
Patrick W
  • General Information
Hao Z
Patrick W
  • Next Meeting
 
Hao Z Dates and Speakers
Date Weekday Time Speaker Topic
Feb 02 Monday 11am ET Linyun Fu Ontology Interest Group
Feb 16 Monday 11am ET Stephan Zednik Vocabulary Services
Mar 02 Monday 11am ET NA Catchups & Discussion
Mar 16 Monday 11am ET Linyun Fu Linked Vocabulary API
Mar 30 Monday 11am ET NA General Discussions
Apr 13 Monday 11am ET NA Ontology Versioning etc
Apr 27 Monday 11am ET Marshall Ma Talk on Ontology Evolution
May 11 Monday 11am ET NA General Discussion & Summer
Remote Users:
1.  Please join my meeting, May 11, 2015 at 11:00 AM EDT.
 
2.  Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended. Or, call in using your telephone.
 
Dial +1 (626) 425-3121
Access Code: 817-336-701
Audio PIN: Shown after joining the meeting
 
Meeting ID: 817-336-701
 
Patrick W Attendance
Hao Z Hao Zhong
Momo
 
 
Hao Z
  • Topics of Interests
  • Relevant Papers:
 
 
Action Items from Last Time
 
  • Notes
Linyun F
  • GCIS ontology change as a concrete example
anirudh p
  • Link for Google Drive with GCIS ontology change plan 
Link for Ontology changes
Ontology Change Proposal
Patrick W Github repository
 
TWC Ontology Change Proposal
 
Action Items
  • Anirudh to jot down ontology changes from GCIS second phase
  •  
 
816 days ago
Attendance
Patrick W Patrick
Linyun F Linyun
Stephan Z Stephan
 
 
  •  
 
  • Agenda
  • Discussion (15-20 min max)
  • Summary (3-5 min max)
 
  • The relationship between verisoning and the rest of the evolution cycle elements
Linyun F
  • Versioning as a way to encode and manage changes (i.e., the rest of the evolution cycle elements/activities)?
 
844 days ago
Linyun F Linyun (sick, stay at home) 
Hao Z Hao (rest well Linyun!)
Peter
Patrick
Benno Lee
 
  • Topics of Interests
  • DOAP (Description of a Project) - representing software and software versions
Patrick W
  • Use case 1 - User requests aggregation of 3 datasets to be returned as a netcdf file from OPeNDAP Hyrax (data server)
  • request handled by multiple modules within OPeNDAP Hyrax
  • used in generation of provenance for the request - response object derived from the 3 datasets
  • Use case 2 - On the TW servers we have different versions of different pieces of software installed and we want to keep track of what's installed where
  • PURL (persistent uniform resource locator)
Hao Z
  • find the artical on it
  • are the purls being parsed by a server-side or an actual url?
  • is it content negotiable
  • Examples:
  • Ontology Evolution (Versioning)
Hao Z
  • SYSE
  • -> ontology best practices hackpad
Patrick W
  • Never remove a concept or property
  • If a concept or property is modified then it receives a new URI, it's a new concept/property basically
Hao Z
  • major/minor changes
  • provenance/relationships/hierachials
Linyun F
  • "deprecated" sign
  • vocabulary vesioning: Marshall X Ma  for SKOS, there are "active" and "inactive" annotations to indicate whether elements are part of the current ontology
Hao Z
  • the triangle? anybody can paste a picture?
  • software, database, provenance, schema, ... split tasks
Patrick W
  • Use Cases
  • change the description of a concept
  • add a new concept
  • remove a concept
  • simple typo in a description
Hao Z
  • ontology evolution literature, ISWC, ESWC, ASWC conference proceedings
Patrick W
  • RDA has an interest group related to this
  • Data Management for the lab (Discussion)
  • what is data management? Is it part of data science? What all goes into the management of data? Backups vs. Archives?
  • what is data?
  • dspace vs ckan vs ???
  • Dataset ontologies (dcat. A new one from w3c? Others?)
Marshall M
Patrick W
  • DCAT from w3c
  • VSTO has concepts around datasets
 
Action Items from Last Time
  • Patrick: NOT YET - Use rpi handle system to generate handles for all of our instances
  • Patrick: More of a suggestion - Would love to see someone look into purl and give a presentation!
 
  • Notes
 
858 days ago
Mar 16 Monday 11am ET Linyun Fu Linked Vocabulary API
 
  • Stephan (remote)
Linyun F
  • Linyun
anirudh p
  • Anirudh
Patrick W
  • Patrick
 
Agenda
  • Action Items from Last Time (10-15 minutes max) 
 
  • Linyun Fu: Prepare a talk about LVA ontology design in two weeks.
  • make sure not to ignore Epimorphics' credit.
  • Patrick: NOT YET - Use rpi handle system to generate handles for all of our instances
  • Patrick: More of a suggestion - Would love to see someone look into purl and give a presentation!
 
  •  
 
830 days ago
Peter
Han
Corey
anirudh p anirudh
 
  • Topics of Interests
 
  • vocabulary vesioning: Marshall X Ma  for SKOS, there are "active" and "inactive" annotations to indicate whether elements are part of the current ontology
Stephan Z
  • Stephan: there are?
 
 
Hao Z
  • Ontology versioning
  • versioning in software engineering
Stephan Z
  • Semantic versioning convention (for software)
  • major.minor.patch
  • major changes generally break backwards compatibility and usually involve interface or contract changes
  • minor changes generally add new functionality but do not break backwards compatibility
  • patch changes are generally bug fixes that do not make interface changes (but fix incorrect behavior)
Hao Z
  • difference from software engineering.
  • branching, different urls
  • ==> documentating ontologies
  • ==> an ontology in development for a small exercise?
  • stephan presentation (SKOS; versioning)
  • ==> PROV'O
  • ==> technology issues for the data set
  • versioning meriting from semantic tools, in RDF?
  • how to use provenance to describe versioning
  • other...?
 
 
 
  •  
 
  • Notes
Linyun F
  • Software versioning (major versions, minor versions, bug fixes...) does it work well with RDF versioning? What is missing? 
  • Versioning along with documentation and annotation
  • Difference between software and ontology 
  • Scope: ontology has global scope
  • Polymorphism not allowed in ontology for good reasons
  • NO Encapsulation in ontology (no private elements)
  • Software is defined by interfaces, ontology change is almost always interface change -- reasoning clients will break.
  • Annotating implications of a change to an ontology is hard.
  • How to define minor and major changes for ontologies (since almost every change in an ontology is considered a major (interface) change for software)?
  • Decoupled governance of ontology changes
  • e.g., OBO foundry governance arrangement
  • Use case: VSTO?
  • Benchmark/criteria for ontology evolution governance practices?
  • whether break client tools, how hard it is to fix these breaks, ...
  • Branching in ontology versioning
  • How datasets underpinned by an ontology are influenced if the ontology changes.
 
 
Possible ontologies
  • DCO ontology needs to be reviewed so could have a discussion on versioning
  • Still have not switched to VSTO version 3
  • TW Ontology changing the tw:Concept and incorporating skos:Concept
  • skos, versioning of vocabularies
 
 

Contact Support



Please check out our How-to Guide and FAQ first to see if your question is already answered! :)

If you have a feature request, please add it to this pad. Thanks!


Log in